Thursday, June 13, 2019

Fairfield City Council Flashes Leadership



I have nothing but good things to say about this week’s Fairfield City Council meeting. Really…just let me tick through the high points….

Finally, a uniform policy which allows defined family members to ride in city-owned vehicles. It only took seven months, countless discussions and an angry mom to make it happen. I think the policy is reasonable.

Next, the city council approved something that should have been added years ago. It’s a hotel-motel tax on people getting rooms while staying in Fairfield. The money generated will go to the city’s recreation fund which encourages tourism and athletic events at our sports venues. It’s five percent tacked on to a hotel bill. To a large extent, it only affects non-residents. I like it. We have a wonderful ability to bring in softball and baseball tournaments all summer---and basketball when it gets cold.

Also, discussion broke out about the establishment of a municipal court. It’s a winner financially and would be limited to violations of city ordinances. The Mayor and the city attorney think the idea has merit. So do I.

And I find no problem with the legalization of golf carts and side-by-sides on city streets. Maybe that will make others slow down.

I don’t know how this happened. I agree with everything the city council did on Tuesday night.

And I’m fever-free. I can close my eyes and touch my nose with both index fingers….walk a straight line….and do the alphabet backwards. 

In other words…

The city council gets….a thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment