Thursday, March 7, 2019

Computer Generated Bunk



I can’t let a column printed in a small newspaper on the western side of Illinois go without comment.

It is titled “The Demise of Community Institutions,” and was written by a man who I have never met who claims Fairfield as his hometown. Mark Tullis, writing in yesterday’s edition of the Columbia Republic-Times, wrote of his concern for the media here. The opinion piece was also published on a national blog site.

He says the local newspaper’s annual Pink Press edition wasn’t as meaty this year, saying it is getting “slimmer and slimmer.”  That was mild in comparison to what he said about our radio station.

Tullis walked down memory lane by dropping the name of Gil Wallace, Fairfield’s Morning Mayor, and how good he was back in the day. You won’t get any arguments from me on that….I worked with Gil and loved him.
But then he said this….quote….

“The station is now a shadow of what it once was, operating with a skeleton crew and a lot of computer generated bunk. Pretty sad.”
Bunk? I take great offense to that opinion and suggest Mr. Tullis actually tune in. I doubt he has…

Fairfield is blessed with two vibrant media outlets when many towns in Southern Illinois have none. The Wayne County Press is one of the few strong small town newspapers left in Illinois. And this station operates with a staff which generates timely news, sports, weather and talk.

We don’t do computer generated bunk…

3 comments:

  1. The decline in the quality of the radio station is a pretty commonly accepted fact among a lot of folks here. I'm not throwing blame around. I think we do the best with the situations that are presented to us. But to my recollection, people have been talking about it ever since the station changed hands and employees got fired. You can't be that shocked that someone wrote about it. You must have heard it before.

    Because you got me thinking about it, I got curious and looked over TOC's FCC filings. If you don't mind my asking, as I don't know much about the radio business, how is it that over the 10/2018-11/2018 period, Volunteers for Shimkus had 21 1-minute radio spots that cost them a total of 382.71. Rather, I'm confused as to why the numbers don't seem to line up on the filings. One(the file marked invoices final) seems to state that the cost for each ad was around 20 dollars, but the other(wfiw-fm-us-fed) quotes a price of around 57 dollars per ad. I also noticed that Shimkus's opponent Gaither apparently didn't buy any ad time at all, which I suppose would make sense as Democrats are extremely unpopular here.

    How well would you say the radio station stands up to the Fairness Doctrine? I usually just hear one point of view on any political subject. Come to think of it, whenever I tend to hear national news, it always seems to be Fox. Why is that? Maybe I'm just listening at the wrong times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typed Fairness Doctrine, but I meant Equal-Time Rule. My apologies. I get confused because they fulfill similar goals.

      Delete
    2. Also, while I'm thinking about it, why do you keep a mugshot wall of shame of people who have been arrested but not convicted?

      Delete