Monday, April 29, 2019

Just Keep Trying



My hero Jack Benny never got older than 39. I, on the other hand, have moved far beyond that number. In fact, I spent the weekend commemorating the 23rd anniversary of my 39th birthday.

I can often get the senior discount at area restaurants without getting out an ID. In fact, I tip anyone who asks for proof of my advanced age.

I was asked last week by a colleague if I had a credo….a mantra that I’ve leaned on through the years….something I would put on a headstone when I am called home. And I do. I can summarize my life and my future in just three words.
Just keep trying.

Pretty simple. I’ve had some success in my life…but boy….I’ve experienced defeat too. I think you can experience defeat without being defeated. I know that sounds screwy, but let me see if I can explain….

I’ve had failed relationships, failed career endeavors,  and plenty of failed investments. But every time I have pulled defeat from the jaws of victory, I just kept trying.
Country music legend Reba McEntire once said you need three things---a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone. I like that, but it is simpler.

 Get knocked down, get up. Jim Valvano, the famed basketball coach at North Carolina State, facing the specter of a cancer death said, and I quote, “Don’t give up….don’t ever give up.” Those words defined Valvano.

For me, when the work day comes to an end and I’m headed home to my wife and hounds, I think about the day’s events and repeat the words that I hope define me.

Just keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment