Friday, June 29, 2018

Life Goes Full Circle


 

I call it a God moment.

It occurred a few months ago on Interstate 44 as I was trying to get to the Forest Park campus of St. Louis Community College for a meeting.

It was a text from my wife. I had my cellphone mounted on the dash and as I was thinking how much I hated St. Louis traffic......as a text message popped up from Carol.  

“This is unsustainable,” she wrote. I knew exactly what she meant. We both worked very demanding jobs, saw each other on weekends and were having very little fun. Her words expressed my feelings

We both knew it was time to go home. 

For 32 years, my career and identity has been education. From instructor to dean to president to provost…..but I had never lost my love for broadcasting. We have lived in three states and made many friends. But we knew our final destination was Fairfield, Illinois. Her hometown. My adopted hometown.

On July 2nd I will walk into the radio studios of WFIW-WOKZ Radio, where I first broadcast professionally, and take over the role of General Manager and General Sales Manager of the four station operation. I am grateful to Mark Lange, the President and Owner of The Original Company, who made this all possible. I’m thrilled to return to Fairfield and to my favorite radio stations.

We have purchased a home built in 1906 which will satisfy Carol’s HGTV-loving heart.

Carol has accepted a new job as a registered Occupational Therapist in nearby Flora, Illinois.

God is good. All the time.

Time to grab my lunch bucket and get started with my new career…..

…which is actually my old career.

See you on the radio.

 

4 comments:

  1. Let me know your format, may have some stuff you might like to play !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    I am doing the happy dance for you and Carol. What fantastic news!! And another congratulations in order for following your heart! I am heading out to my car now to add WFIW to my radio stations!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. so thrilled for you both to be able to slow down and "smell the roses" so to speak. Praying for a well deserved slow down and the peace that comes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will Scoop on Sports be back?
    VERY happy for you, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete