Friday, January 24, 2020

Helping Us Help Them



I did some number crunching this week.

It was a look at the financial impact of this radio station on the area we serve. And the numbers were surprising.

I took the number of free announcements for non-for-profits and calculated what it would cost  if we charged for them. I’m talking about spots you hear every day on this station. The recipients of our service include a large number of important organizations like the Wayne County Humane Society, the Frontier Community College Foundation, the Shriners, the Historical Society…the list  is rather expansive.

If you add up the messages and assess the rate we charge our customers, it would cost the charities about a thousand dollars a day. That’s around $30,000 a month, $360,000 a year. Think of that when you hear from one of our paid sponsors. They make it possible for us to provide the service of communicating the needs of some of the area’s most valuable services. The numbers do not reflect the news stories we do or the talk shows which also promote local charitable events.

I should also mention, when you patronize one of our commercial sponsors, you help pay the salaries and benefits for 15 full and part-time employees who work here, live here and shop here. I know they’re like me….when I make purchases….I like to do business with people who do business with the radio station. It only makes good sense.

Maybe that is something you should consider…given the economic impact this station has had on the area for over six decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment