Monday, January 27, 2020

One More Award



This week tickets go on sale for the 99th Greater Fairfield Chamber of Commerce Dinner. The event is set for March 9th at the Elk’s Club.

The chamber dinner has been the vehicle for the announcement of the Outstanding Community Service Award and the Business of the Year. I did a little bit of research on the two awards and have a few opinions…because that is what I do.

From 1968 until 1984, there were 27 businesses honored.  Sixteen are no longer in business. I know, that is a long time ago but the names of the businesses are haunting.
Airtex Products, Fairfield Garment Company, The Farmer’s Store, Davis and Sons Oil Company, Southern Wholesale Lumber Company are just a few of the names…all were solid…and all are gone. They employed lots of people.

The other list also had some interesting tidbits. The first woman to become the Outstanding Citizen was Edna Mann in 1976. Most all of the names are familiar and I’m sure everyone was deserving. But I wonder…

I wonder if there is room for another award. The Outstanding Community Service Award has significance in the “here and now.” It usually goes to someone who predictably has been in the news as a mover and shaker. But what about the less flashy longtime citizen?

I think there’s room for a “Distinguished Service Award.” It would serve the same purpose as the Veteran’s Committee of Baseball’s Hall of Fame. It could catch the people who have contributed over the course of decades to the community’s well-being.

Like I said…..I give opinions…..And I look forward to the annual dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment