Monday, February 1, 2016

"Keep your chin up, trust in God, and believe in good things to come."


Our pet basset hound, Jacqueline Basset, loves being with us.

She is the fifth basset to live in the Dreith household. The breed has a few downsides----wet mouth, distinctive aroma and the ability to sleep 22 hours a day. I recall watching a film concerning the breed where the narrator was clear on one thing. Bassets are communal dogs. They require other dogs or constant attention from their owners. They are loyal. They demand attention….and if you are unwilling to commit to the relationship, you should own a cat.

I think I love bassets because I have the same traits. No, I do not sleep all day and night. Yes, I require being part of a team. I need to interact with other people and work towards a common goal. I’m loyal to a fault.

That became a major problem when I resigned from my job last October. No staff meetings, no schedule to keep, no goals to achieve. One of my mentors suggested that I reflect on my career and not jump back into the fray for at least six months. I listened.

A few weeks passed and a friend reached out and told me of his affiliation with The John Maxwell Team. Maxwell is recognized as the prolific author of over 90 books, most of which examining leadership. Maxwell had authored a program to develop leaders, mentors, coaches and public speakers. It intrigued me. What better way to spend my six-month hiatus than studying his research? I immediately immersed myself in The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership.

In March, I will be in attendance at a conference where I hope to earn certification as a Maxwell team member. In the meantime, I am on phone calls and reading several hours a day. But the only person I interact with, besides my beloved wife, is my hound.

And that is a problem as we enter the longest month of the year------February. At least it is the longest one for me. Always has been… The only time I have shaken the February blues was during our Texas years, when February meant sunshine. In Illinois, February means…..”come on March.”

My study of Maxwell has been therapeutic. I have measure myself against his 21 irrefutable laws and found I have many strengths…and a few weaknesses that should be corrected. My most glaring problem is the “Law of Process.” Maxwell ordains that leaders should read to nourish professional growth. I’m an old newsman and read six or seven on-line news sites per morning. I also read about trends in higher education and my old discipline of communications. But I had not picked up a book to read it from cover to cover for years prior to The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. The law of process also suggests robust attendance at professional conclaves and I could not spend that type of money in my previous job. It would have been seen as hypocritical as I cut everyone else’s travel and professional development funds.

My problem as we enter the longest month of the year is isolation. I have a regular Rotary meeting on Wednesday morning which helps quench my thirst for membership in a team……but that is it.

My next step is to systematically consume Maxwell’s Intentional Living and Becoming a Person of Influence. I believe those books will make me ready for the conference in mid-March. Once there, I know I will satisfy my primal need for teamwork.

I’m praying hard for answers as to my next professional step. I want to return to leadership…but I know my mentor was correct in suggesting the hiatus. I know this quiet and lonely time is needed and required.

The life of a basset hound is pretty simple. Sleep, followed by sleep….then a little chow before returning to sleep. In between, bassets need to be with their owners and be accepted for their attributes.

As I write this, Jackie is on her pillow behind me. She’s totally content to be spending this time with me.

The first thing I saw as I booted up the computer this morning was a quote from a former student who posted:

"Keep your chin up, trust in God, and believe in good things to come."

Amen.

Using this time in a positive manner is my goal. Adhering to her message is a way to succeed in that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment