Thursday, October 15, 2020

All That Jazz

 


Several months ago, during this two minutes, I cast aspersions on modern music. I just couldn’t find anything interesting to me anymore.

I am a child of the 60s and 70s. I grew up with The Eagles, Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers….all excellent musicians who captured my interest. My time in radio also had me at several country radio stations, so I developed an appreciation for the artform.

But I can’t get into modern country…and rock has died a tragic death.

So, when friends vouched for a detective series on Amazon Prime that had a jazz soundtrack, I paid attention. Jazz had never interested me before. I spent one summer playing all the standards on a St. Louis jazz radio station and just never got it.

But now, in my extreme maturity, I think I see the light. And the light is “cool jazz.” It is Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz. They are part of a post-World War II thread of jazz meant for chilling on a relaxed evening. It features brass, piano and percussion.

In a few words, it interests me.

I need sound in a room. Cool jazz is laid-back with slower tempos. The sound is low and not intended to dominate. That is somewhat in contrast to my rock and roll hey day.

I guess it makes sense.

So, I’m still casting aspersions on modern music. Instead,  I’m seriously into some sounds form seventy years ago.

Danny and The Juniors once sang, “Rock and roll is here to stay.”

…but for me it has become passe.

No comments:

Post a Comment