Friday, September 13, 2019

Five, Six, Pick Up Sticks



The Fairfield City Council continues to ruminate on yard waste removal and the investment required to keep our streets clean of branches and shrubbery. The citizens of the city generally are for keeping the service. I understand.

I have an issue with the cost. I’ve shared it before…but please look at it again with me. The mayor says it will only take one new employee at an overall cost north of $60,000. That’s $46,467 in salary, the rest in benefits.

 60K for someone to pick up sticks.

Oh, I know they will train he or she to drive a dump truck or other machinery…but $60K for someone without a degree or specific training. They will come in at $21.50 an hour. Where else in town can you make that?And it comes with medical coverage and a pension.

So now consider this…

The state has mandated the minimum salary for teachers in Illinois by the year 2023---four years down the road---to be $40,000. There are currently classroom teachers in our county making less.

What’s wrong with this picture?

The people who we put in front of our kids are making much less than the person who will collect our yard clippings. The Governor signed the minimum salary for teachers saying there is a significant shortage of qualified teachers in Illinois. Now, I know why. education majors would be smart to drop out and grab a rake in Fairfield.

It's much more lucrative.

2 comments:

  1. I thought Crayton's response covered what came to mind. Dishonesty.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog have nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again.
    wood tools

    ReplyDelete