Thursday, October 1, 2020

A Plea For Civility


I could barely watch the entire debate the other night. The rancor and disrespect from the participants made me promise myself I would not watch rounds two and three. It lacked fundamental decency. All too often we marry our political arguments to the worth of our critics. That’s got to stop.

Please allow me to paint a picture of two people who rejected animus and allowed themselves to become personal friends.

Let’s reflect on the relationship between recently deceased justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and former colleague Antonin Scalia. You can not find more polar opposites. She was a bleeding heart liberal and he was the epitome of conservatism. And yet, I have found multiple sources that say they were the best of friends.

They almost always were on opposing sides in decisions by the Supreme Court, but never let that damage their personal connection.

Their families spent New Year’s Eve together. They traveled together. Scalia once said, “if you can’t disagree ardently with your colleagues about some issues of law and yet personally still be friends, get another job, for Pete’s sake.”

So, for a moment. If you don’t agree with these commentaries---does that mean we can’t talk if we run into each other at Carnaby Square? If we don’t see eye-to-eye on a political issue, does that make me a clown? A racist?

I think the candidates for our country’s highest office need to…gear it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment