Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Gap Year

 

 

I read an interesting letter recently in the Press. It was written by good friend Terry Wilkerson, the president of Rend Lake College. He was addressing a popular concept among college students. It’s called “the gap year.”

Accepted in Europe and gaining steam here in the states….the gap year is when a college student takes a break, between his/her high school graduation and the beginning of their college experience. Some students have looked at the upcoming semester to see many of their classes turned to online delivery instead of traditional face-to-face delivery because of the virus.

I took a gap year. So did my wife.

My experience was at SIU-Edwardsville where I dropped out of my junior year with the intent to return soon. I was 19. I got my bachelor’s degree when I was 29. My gap year became a gap decade. My wife’s gap years were from 18 to 46. We each deeply regret our decisions.

Here are a few truths to consider. First of all, you won’t find a better bargain for your educational dollar than a community college. Terry does a great job at Rend Lake as does Dr. Jay Edgren at Frontier.

Second, FCC is making a sincere attempt to have face-to-face instruction this fall. Classes start next week. You might want to look at the schedule. I am particularly impressed with the new Med Lab Tech program at the Fairfield college. Two years of instruction will equal a lifetime career in the health care industry.

Taking time off from your educational journey can sometimes get you way off the path.

Trust me, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment