Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Deciding Not To Decide

 

 

I got a piece of advice about 20 years ago that has stuck with me.

I was a trustee on my town’s village board and it wasn’t long before there was a tough vote. I don’t recall the issue. But I do recall the multi-term colleague of mine who saw me vacillating about the matter in a personal conversation with him.

He looked at me sternly and said this…

“Make a decision. Decide because you believe it or because you believe you are representing the majority of your constituents. But don’t vote present or abstain. People didn’t elect you to decide not to decide.”

It’s different if you have a conflict-of-interest….or if you were Gary Moore last night voting on a motion to be named Mayor pro-tem.  That’s totally cool.

But the city council had two zoning decisions last night. One involved a house on Leininger Road and the other….an additional parking  lot for McDonald’s. Both were contentious. When the council voted, at least two aldermen voted present. I was listening to the meeting. I heard the roll call. I knew they were there.

They were there to vote Yay or Nay.

Speaking of Moore. He will need all of the aldermen’s help moving forward between now and May. The city is a $17-million dollar business that needs attention.

Fairfield needs decisive votes from the city council.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing says "I stand for nothing" than voting present. They need to grow a pair.

    ReplyDelete