Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Begging For A State Solution



I have a challenge for our state legislature…Do something about the recycling problem. I hate throwing away plastic bottles, but that is what I am doing because I don’t have a better option in Wayne County.  

Ever since the Career Development Center stopped their recycling business, it pains me to throw my ample number of plastic drinking bottles into the garbage and I do not want to take a weekly run to Flora or Carmi. I want a local solution. I believe the CDC when it says the market has gone away. Jack the Can Man tells a similar story about the aluminum market. In Carmi, the city government will take plastic and cans on Saturday but say they are losing thousands of dollars.

Only 20-percent of the world’s plastic is recycled and this part of Illinois is making the problem worse. My plastic bottles help fill a landfill which I find distressing.

I feel all of us that used the CDC felt we were doing it to help with the environment. Now there is no way to conveniently do our part to be ecologically responsible. 

Instead of putting a ban on leaf blowers, how about some real problem solving about an issue that threatens our environment? How about a Springfield solution?

Maybe this is one issue where Democrats and Republicans can find common ground. I’d like to see them try....

…before I throw my next plastic bottle into the Salem landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment