Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Served.



I can’t recall the last time I watched a Hollywood award show. Can’t stand them. Can’t watch one millionaire actor after another offer political commentary based on what they heard while hanging out with other millionaire actors. And, if you believe the ratings, I am not alone.

That’s why I found the words of comedian Ricky Gervais, who hosted the 77th annual Golden Globes last weekend so notable. Hosting for the fifth----and likely last time---Gervais said this to the assembled Hollywood elite:

“You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg, so, if you win, come up , accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and…..blank off. No one cares about your views on politics and culture.”

Boom-shock-a-locka. Thunberg is a teenaged activist.

I watched the video and I think he meant it. I know, I couldn’t have said it better. The ratings for all of the shows have cratered over the last few years because Joe six-pack can’t relate to the liberal views of people who work about half the year, change partners like underwear and skipped political science in college to read for the fall drama. Most award shows are down as much as 30-percent in viewership.

It’s not because the vast majority of the country doesn’t watch movies…. It’s because the vast majority of the country doesn’t give a rat’s arse about Bob DeNiro’s feelings about politics. Robert DeNiro, by the way, is a high school drop-out.  I love him as an actor, but could care less about his view of life. He would really be served if he understood that.

So, score one for a British comedian who roasted the left coast elite.


1 comment:

  1. That’s always the way I felt about Ronald Reagan. He should have stuck to what he knew: bad acting

    ReplyDelete