Monday, May 6, 2019

The Bruce Legacy



I was taken by surprise by Friday’s announcement that Illinois Eastern Community College CEO Terry Bruce was retiring from his job. I had talked to him earlier in the week and nothing was mentioned.

Back in 2001, Bruce took a chance on an Associate Dean from Lewis and Clark Community College. He offered me my first college presidency at Frontier Community College. It was life changing. And since that day, I have been totally loyal to him.

Let me tell you what I got in return. Bruce was always the go-to guy when I had a personal or professional problem. And boy, he came through….over and over again for me.

Bruce has been a friend to Fairfield too. If not for his leadership, the “campus without walls” would not have prospered so much in the last two decades. He was the one who built the new library….he made the Workforce Development Center possible….and he did not oppose the first athletic teams which have taken root in our community’s culture.

The news about Bruce was so surprising because he often said he would never retire….and I took him at his word. I do not have inside information, but I have to believe this is not some lonesome cowboy riding into the sunset. I’d bet the house he is going to do something else. His legal mind, his time as a State Senator and Congressman make him a valuable resource.

He has done a remarkable job in leading the IECC, and I’m proud to say he is my mentor.

While there will be a successor at the college district...

….I think Bruce is quite un-replaceable.

1 comment:

  1. For all who have served under Terry Bruce, we can state that he has led the District through good times and financial state woes, and while many other districts faltered, we were in good shape. He never favored one college over another, and led the Workforce Education division to many opportunities. His leadership will be missed and there are so gigantic shoes to be filled. He was as loyal to those who worked for him directly, as they were to him. Thanks Mr. Bruce and thank you Mike for the opportunity to respond your commentary.

    ReplyDelete