Monday, March 4, 2019

Silence From The Cheap Seats



The Fairfield Mules basketball juggernaut came to a halt Friday night when they ran into a very good team from T-Town at the Vandalia 2A sectional.

Much like the fall athletic successes, nothing improves a town’s collective self-image more than a winning team. We have been given several nice shots of positive energy from a group of 16 and 17 year olds.

I listened to every basketball game----but went to only one----a loss to Olney----and I was not invited back.

So, take this for what it’s worth. I am not a Fairfield native, but I played high school basketball and my three sons were each involved in the program.

I think it is safe to say this team, which won more games than any other in the history of the school, deserves the gratitude of this community, Next time I see Coach Scott McElravy, I plan to stick my hand out and thank him on a great season.

There are some who will say they should have gone further into the post season because of the great talent up and down the Fairfield bench. To them I say----that’s easy from the cheap seats. This team won the Capital Classic, the Eldorado Holiday Tournament, the Carmi White County Tournament….It went undefeated in the conference and of course…..it won the regional.

Coach McElravy took some criticism last year when the Mules won 14 games. This year they put 32 on the board against three losses. That should quiet the negative comments. There are plenty of coaches with talented teams who don’t perform. McElravy got the most out of his team.

I personally was part of 32 wins in high school.

…if you add my sophomore, junior and senior years….together.

Well done, Mules.

1 comment: