Friday, March 8, 2019

Messing With Perfection



I’m throwing a flag on the re-invention of food. Food that I already think is perfect.

For instance, apparently the latest craze is to make multiple flavors of mayonnaise. Of course there are folks that like their bacon to be from a turkey instead of a hog. And just last week, it was announced that they are using 3-D printers to make fake steak.

This is as insane as getting your milk from an almond.

Why would you mess with perfection?

I want mayonnaise to taste like…..mayonnaise….on my bacon sandwich. I don’t want “white truffle” mayo. In fact I don’t want anything that tastes like a fungus on my wheat bread. The most distressing thing is that some of the pillars of the mayo industry, people like Hellman’s, appear to be buckling and jumping on the wagon.

The basic American sandwich is under attack. They are even changing bread. The trend is towards “sprouted grains,” which is when whole grained berries are allowed to germinate and sprout shoots filled with nutrients. I’ll take Bunny Bread…white processed sandwich bread with a couple of shakes of extra starch.

But back to mayo…. They have balsamic vinegar flavored mayo… Siracha and French Curry flavors. It's not appealing and it does not interest me. But one flavor has peaked my interest.

Empire Mayonnaise Company of Brooklyn, New York has a flavor that might make this commentary irrelevant.

It is on the shelves right now.

Bacon flavored mayonnaise.

The best of all worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment