Thursday, December 13, 2018

War on Robocalls



When I left my job at Frontier Community College back in 2007, I got a new phone number.  When you get a call from me, it says you are getting a call from West Texas. I thought about it and decided two things----I was going to keep it when we returned to Illinois….and my days of feeling I needed a land line were over.

I tell you this so you will understand that I got maybe a hundred phone calls in the month of October from automated services promoting either Beto O’Rouke or Ted Cruz for the Texas Senate seat. I just never answered.

Robocalls are a nuisance. They are a form of harassment that simply must stop.
It appears others agree with me. Our Attorney General, Lisa Madigan, is part of a nationwide effort to work with phone companies and the Federal Communication Commission to start blocking robocalls.

Madigan is realistic. Completely stopping the calls seems to be an impossible task…but curtailing them would be most appreciated.

I’m not exaggerating when I tell you that I can’t sit at my in-law’s dinner table without their landline ringing. It is almost always a foundation….or an organization….begging for a donation. It is almost never a live person.

Look, for some….and I include myself….our phone represents our business lives, but I can’t answer text messages or e-mails if my phone is blowing up with pitches from the national association to eradicate mad cow disease. 

Enough.

Time for a good Robocop to get the calls to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment