Sunday, May 8, 2016

A Week That Has Changed The Course of My Life


I believe I have finally rid myself of “post-Logan depression.”

I have not worked for pay since last October and it is time to move on.

That doesn’t mean I have sat idly by and not actively pursued another college presidency. I have. And I have discovered that politics makes the job an unsavory attempt for status and pay that I don’t need anymore.

That realization hit hard during a week when I was in the middle of making decisions with my sister concerning the lives of our parents. My mother had a rather simple operation turn into a stroke and impaired (at least temporarily) her ability to make decisions for herself. My father’s doctor determined he was unsafe to drive and my refusal to be a passenger in his vehicle turned into a donnybrook of huge proportions.

Dad isn’t speaking to me right now, but that is a regular occurrence. That will change when he needs something. He is a proponent of conditional love…something I refused to use in my own parenting practice.

Mom is much better and my mind is at ease now that she is a resident of an assisted living facility in our hometown. I’m sure she will make a full recovery and have her life enriched by the activities provided by her new home.

As for me, I believe God has sent me a clear message. Pursue your passion, Mike. Life is short and your parents are only 20 years or so your senior. Do what facilitates happiness.

I see the path. I will change course and follow.

My wife says she has observed me closely. She believes I am happiest when I am helping others about career pursuits. She says it’s obvious I love teaching and interacting with people trying to determine their futures. She’s right, of course.

I don’t need to be in charge of everything. I need to be relevant.

During my week of dealing with parental problems, I was turned down for a job that would have been my last job. The news that I didn’t get it was crushing to both Carol and me. We so badly wanted it to happen.

Over and over in my life, disappointments have led to great new discoveries. I’m taking that attitude at this moment in my life. James Taylor sings a song called, “That’s Why I’m Here,” where he chronicles his life changing decision to stop taking drugs after the death of friend John Belushi. He sings:

“It seems "learn not to burn" means to turn on a dime
And walk on if you're walking even if it's an uphill climb
And try to remember that working's no crime
Just don't let 'em take and waste your time.”

So I’m turning on a dime….and walking that uphill climb.

I’ve dropped 22 pounds in the last seven weeks…and I’ve dropped my fifteen year addiction to being a college president.

“I am a recovering college president.”

Time to follow my passion. There’s only so much time before my oldest son, Andrew, takes away my car keys.



No comments:

Post a Comment