Thursday, December 10, 2020

The End Of Something Means The Beginning Of Something Else

 I had an uncle who once said “retirement is the most demanding job of my life.” He was very giving of his time to organizations in need of volunteer help. I think I now understand.

It has been only two weeks since I “retired,” giving up my job managing the local radio station. Honestly, I don’t miss it. The demands were great…..but I’m coming to realize…..retirement can be even more demanding.

With the announcement of my departure from the station, it gave Carol free reign to throw a list of assignments my way. She likes to throw around the word “unemployed” when referencing me. I resemble that remark.

I’ve found it a blessing to not be handy. Can’t use tools, can’t build anything and my ability to repair things is highly suspect. I have skills…just not the kind needed for our 100+ year-old home. Carol comes from a family of skilled craftsmen, so that gets me off the hook most times.

The church and worthy community organizations have come calling for my time and I have given it freely and enjoyed it. Come to think of it, I haven’t had time to even take an afternoon nap since I quit my job at the radio station.

Abe Lemons once said: “The trouble with retirement is you never get a day off.”

With deference to Lemons, I am finding a day next week to go hunting. I will travel to see my children….and I will continue to be highly visible in the community.

…and retirement from broadcasting is like retirement from my career in education.

The end of something means the beginning of something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment