Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Grounded



That first step out of my tree stand Friday evening was a doozy.

Right after telling everyone to be safe out there on one of these commentaries, I didn’t follow my own advice and took a fall out of my stand, landing on my most durable body parts…my head and my back. For those of you who have speculated, yes, I was using a rope system…it just failed. And no, alcohol was not involved.

My wife has never been wild about me climbing amongst the trees…so when she arrived at the emergency room….it was no surprise when she said:

(Carol: ”You are grounded”)

Because I am still very sore from my fall, and because the archery season was good to me. I have decided to listen to her kind advice. But I plan on using this fall to my advantage. There is an upside to plummeting to the floor of the forest.

I just started hunting four years ago. I have started to design a new and improved stand complete with a staircase. I’m sure I can’t afford an elevator. This will be the mother of all deer stands and will  be complete with heat…and HBO if I can figure it out.

For a moment, let me be serious. I understand the sober part of this. There was a potential for more serious injury. But by the grace of God did I escape with a minor injury. I would investigate why my restraint didn’t catch me but….

(Carol: “You are grounded.”)

Yes, for the time being… but to quote MacArthur….I shall return.
Next year.

 (Whisper) Because I’m the one calling the shots on this…

1 comment: