Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Run Them Over



The last snap of my un-illustrious high school football career came against the Alton Marquette Explorers. They murdered us to end our season. Shortly thereafter, our coach lost his job.

I’ve been bitter for over four decades.

So…I was pretty charged up when I got a text from Fairfield Athletic Director Bobby Wells on Saturday night telling me that the 9-0 Mules would be hosting Marquette on Saturday afternoon. My alma mater, Bethalto, beat the Explorers in week one 22-0.

I’m hoping for more of the same from my adopted hometown.

In fact, I did what I could to help fire up the home team by providing some locker room material on Saturday night. I found a story on an Alton website where they interviewed the head coach of Marquette.

Coach Darrell Angleton was actually happy to get the Mules in round one. He told a reporter of the three undefeated teams his team could have played, Fairfield was “probably as winnable of a match-up as there was in that group. We can compete with these guys.”

Oh, really.

You say that about a team that went undefeated winning by averaging 40-points-per game while only giving up three?

Fairfield is a beast.

I find it remarkable that those words would fall out of any coach’s mouth.
I hope the Mules hit Alton Marquette like a mythical westbound freight train Saturday at the Train Yard. 

It would put a smile on this crusty old face.

No comments:

Post a Comment