Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Javagate



I started drinking coffee here, at this radio station, 37 years ago. I did the morning news and found it an essential part of knocking the webs from my brain at 4 AM each weekday morning.

Since then, it seems every year there is a story about the potential health hazard in drinking brewed coffee beans. I never listened. Juan Valdez looked just fine to me.

So within the last few years I have followed a court case in California where a judge ruled that Starbucks and other coffee peddlers did not show the benefits of coffee drinking…and would need to put a label on each cup….much like the dire warnings on the side of cigarette packs.

The state of California has fought back, saying the probable carcinogen within the roasting process is countered by a number of anti-carcinogens.  For the time being, the state is prevailing. No warnings mandated.

There are some that believe coffee might even be good for us. I actually had a doctor tell me that once. I looked up the benefits…and among the claims…
I’m told coffee lowers the risk of diabetes. It could improve my coordination….and make my eyes less puffy. So I’m oh-for-three. Coffee didn’t help me. I have trouble hitting a golf ball because of my puffy red eyes and the insulin pump on my belt. 
Fortunately, for the time being, there is not a warning on my cup…and I don’t have to change the name of our talk show to ….

Morning Beverage.

1 comment:

  1. You could call it "Talk is Weak" or something like that. Or "I Make Stuff Up To Push My Agenda" because anecdotal little blog posts do not make a journalist.

    ReplyDelete