Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A day of thanks...


There are times in the quiet of a moment, I say thanks.

It happened today as I walked down a hallway at work and an unrecognizable student muttered,

“Dr. Dreith,” as to say good morning to me.

That still floors me.

Trust me, it probably still floors everyone who went through grade school, junior high and high school with me. My trajectory certainly didn’t lead any of us to believe I would spend over three decades in education.

So I’m thankful for the opportunity I was afforded.

Later, I was looking at the picture that I’m getting enlarged to put on my desk. It is a family picture taken last April on my 60th birthday. Yep, six decades on the planet. I looked into the faces of my kids and their kids. My hand is holding the hand of the life partner who keeps me propped up daily. That’s plenty of thankful feelings.

In the early afternoon my smartphone sent me a message directing me to push a button on my insulin pump, thus pushing insulin through a patch on my abdomen to help ease my blood sugar down to an acceptable level after lunch. I’ve been a diabetic since it was discovered during my physical prior to taking my first teaching job. Technology allows me to keep it totally in check. God, I’m grateful for that.

As I loaded up my car at the close of the work day, I looked back at the Wildwood campus. It’s beautiful, and there are some great folks inside. I feel like I’m right where I’m needed.

Once I got home I started packing for our annual trip to Fairfield for Thanksgiving with Carol’s family. They have always treated me like I was their own. That’s a blessing.

I’ll walk around our pond, Lake Lou, which honors my father…..and up to our cabin, The Lazy D. Inside, Carol’s Dad has just been working on a rail which will keep our grandkids safely in the loft when they come to the woods to visit Paw Paw and MeMe. I can’t wait.

You see, I’m an incredible blessed man.

God has richly rewarded me (for some reason). I can’t quite understand why.

I’ve loved, lost, won, lost, suffered and found a way to rationalize the hills and valleys while focused on living a life that greatly resembles my high school football team.

We didn’t win much….but it wasn’t because of a lack of effort. Like then, I just keep strapping it on believing this week I’m gonna score a touchdown. It didn’t happen much then or now. But the effort was always there.  

Soon, I will slow down to reflect on it all.

When I do, I know I will be thankful for God’s grace.

And profoundly grateful for the people who have been a part of my life.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment