Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fiddling With the Concert Violinist

I have not studied the brain…but I am quite aware of two lobes that are constantly at war inside my own cranium.
One part of my brain is the governor…..or the place that discerns whether or not something is proper or smart to allow my vocal cords and lips to utter. The other significant lobe is the part of my brain that finds funny things to say. Lately, the funny lobe is completely overpowering the lobe that is supposed to say, “Don’t go there, Mike.”
I use--as a case in point--- a local event this past week here in Snyder when our local arts alliance brought in two very talented people to perform a concert at our Ritz Theatre. The Ritz was an old movie theatre that was reclaimed by the town a few years back…and now is a performing arts venue on the town square.
I appreciate talent. I am in awe of it…..especially musical talent.
Carol and I decided it was important to support the arts alliance and show up to see the performance, entitled “Strings and Stories.”
The strings were provided by Linda Rosenthal, a classically trained violinist who resides in Juneau, Alaska. The stories were provided by a gentleman who has a passion for storytelling. But for me it was the music.
Rosenthal performed Beethoven and Bach and after the performance opened herself to questions from the audience. One person asked about her instrument----and she told the story of how it was constructed in 1772 in Turin, Italy by J.B. Guadagnini.
After the performance, for some reason, I was in a frisky, West Texas mood. My “Don’t Go There” lobe was deactivated and my “That’s funny---Go ahead and say it” lobe apparently was pumped with adrenaline. I decided to have some fun.
After many of the patrons had greeted the violinist…..I got a few minutes with her to welcome her to Snyder and make pleasant conversation.
“That Alaska, it’s a pretty big state too,” I said to start off the volley.
“Yes, it is,” she said in a somewhat measured voice.
“I have got to tell you…..” I continued. “You know that Bach and Beethoven understood how important it is to have a fiddle in the band.”
“Yeeesss,” she said, now weary.
“Because, if you are going to play in Texas….you gotta have a fiddle in the band,” I countered….with the lyrics of the Alabama song ringing in my ears.
She had no idea what I was talking about.
I didn’t stop.
“So, you know how to play ‘Amarillo by Morning?’” I asked.
“No, what is that?” she said with growing anxiety.
“That’s one you should learn if you are gonna keep playing in West Texas,” I said with a straight face. Or should I say a Strait face?
I was on a roll….and the funny lobe has completely overpowered the lobe that reminds me that I am the local college president and shouldn’t put people on just to amuse myself.
“That fiddle of yours…” I continued the assault.
“I don’t want to pry but that thing is 228 years old,” I proclaimed.
“Yes, she said…..now starting to slightly smile. She was catching on….
I said---“You’d think these concerts would pay enough for you to be able to buy a new one.” And that was as far as I could go without laughing out loud….
She laughed too…and promised me she would go on the Internet after she got to the hotel….learn Amarillo By Morning….and perform it the next night in Midland.
I told her she wouldn’t regret the gesture….that the Midland folks would love her for it.
Later, as I stood by my wife across the foyer from Ms. Rosenthal, I noticed she was pointing at me and laughing as she met others.
I’m thankful she was a good sport.
I need to take some steroids to bulk up the “Don’t go there” lobe in my brain.
Quickly….or at least before my next cultural event.
Otherwise, Carol says she’s going alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment