Friday, February 28, 2014

Old Eagles Never Die...They Just Become Crazy Uncles


It’s the most fun I’ve had in recent memory.

I reference the first and only time I have watched the Civic Memorial Girls basketball team this year. And yet I felt I was connected to them…..a sort of crazy uncle who showed up at Christmas in order to get his gift. That was me. Standing in the middle of the court after the game….smiling from ear to ear…..snapping pictures like I was a family member.

The story starts earlier in the day, late on the morning of game-day, while I was in an optometrist’s chair waiting for the drops to dilate my eyes for an exam. My cellphone rang….I did not recognize the number but I answered anyway.

It was Jonathon Denny, the former CM basketball star turned girls hoops coach. He asked me if I would consider speaking to his team prior to their game that night in Carbondale against the host Lady Terriers. It sort of stunned me. I didn’t answer immediately.

You see, I have not been a regular sight in my hometown for well over a decade. I left to accept a career move over a decade before. I roll into town now and then to see my mom….or my sons….and no longer feel the connection.

“Sure,” I said. “It would be an honor.” Then I felt tears roll down my face. I had a tissue in my hand because of the dilating drops. But those drops weren’t causing the moisture. The request moved me. I immediately started thinking about what I could say that might make a difference.

Understand, this team was coming in at 30-2. They had made it to the sectional the year before. They had won back-to-back conference championships. What could an old broadcaster and even older Eagle say that would help?

When I got back to the office, the eye moisture continued…..uncontrollably….as I posted the honor on Facebook. That prompted some very kind comments from old friends. One of which from Josh Warren who wrote:

“I haven't seen a CM athletic event in over a decade. But I sat in a recliner in my 3 year old son's room and listened to the game on Tuesday streaming live on the Internet while he went to sleep. It was a Hoosier's moment.

They carry the love and support of CM graduates everywhere. And I can't think of a better person to speak to them.”

More moisture.

I knew what had to be said.

At 6:30, only 30-minutes before the game, Coach Denny introduced me to the ladies in their locker room. I say “ladies” because they appear that way to me. As I looked into their nervous eyes, I told them a joke to break the silence…and then I delivered the message that I believed they needed to hear from an old Bethaltonian.

“I was six when my Dad took me to my first Bethalto basketball game. It was in the former high school, only a half-block away from my family home. I watched some wonderful athletes that night. And when the game was over and I came home….I re-played the game in my basement…complete with play-by-play. I dreamed of a day when I could wear the colors of my town and represent my high school.

Years passed and I was a junior….not playing at all on our varsity team. I was a JVer. One night early in a game at O’Fallon, we were down and the guy (Mike Eddy) sitting next to me nudged me and said Coach (Carey) wanted me. Surprised, I got up and ran next to him and squatted next to him.

Carey looked over at me and said: “What the Hell are you doing here?”

I stumbled back to my seat at the end of the bench where the instigator chuckled under his breath.

A couple of minutes passed….I guess Carey had second thoughts…..What did he have to lose?

“Dreith!” he shouted…..

And I sat not hearing him.

“Dreith!” he shouted again….and I knew it was him….and not Eddy.

That night I hit my first five shots…..and we won.

The next night I arrived at the gym and started dressing for the JV game only to have the assistant coach come and say I needed to see Coach Carey in his office.

That usually wasn’t good news.

When I got there, he told me to go home….and not come back unless I had a tie on. I was going to start varsity.

That night….running out for the starting lineup….wearing the purple and gold…..representing my school and my town was the best moment in my life. Only the healthy birth of three sons comes close.

“Ladies, I continued. “Out in that gym are a thousand Bethalto residents wanting to make this YOUR home court. There are a thousand more like Josh Warren listening on-line….and they all want one thing. History.

Do you realize that CM has played basketball for 65 years? Never has a team won a sectional championship in the school’s history. Boys and girls…..that’s over a hundred teams…and you can give them the first trip to state….ever.

For them….for your school….for the people of Bethalto……go out and make history tonight.”

My voice broke at the end. I turned and walked out of the locker room.

Too much is made of pre-game speeches. Pre-game speakers have never sunk a jumper….and I take zero credit for the way those girls came out of the locker room. But they took the floor and raced to a 25-2 first quarter lead enroute to the greatest Civic Memorial High School basketball victory in the school’s history.

I count it as one of the neatest moments I have experienced. To be a small part of that night was so cool. And I will always be grateful to Coach Denny and the girls of the 31-2 Lady Eagles.

I’m not sure the weather is going to cooperate in making it possible for me to be at their super-sectional game at Decatur.

But if I am not able to…..I will be part of that legion of followers who will listen on-line….rooting for them as they continue their path.

I hope to make it for the welcome home parade……when they bring home a state title.

The crazy uncle…just happy to be at the party.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment