Saturday, June 28, 2014

I am not retreating....on my favorite quote.


 
I’ve always admired a good quote….something that perfectly expresses a feeling or inspires me to do better.

Years ago, I started using a quote at the bottom of my e-mails. It was from a famous American General.

“We are not retreating---we are advancing in another direction.”---General Douglas McArthur.

McArthur was the first to say it….and there have been some military types who have made it their own over the years. I always identified with it. I was never ashamed to use it in every one of my correspondences.

No one ever said anything about the quote for almost ten years. Then, last week, I got this message from a colleague. A trusted one…

“I have looked at the quote from General MacArthur below your signature block several times and I always conclude with the feeling that we got our butts kicked in battle and while it appears that we are retreating, we are not, we are instead going in a different direction.  Bottom line…we got beat!

I have heard many people here at the college express the same feeling about that particular General MacArthur quote.  I am suggesting to you that another General MacArthur quote would be more motivating and inspiring.” 

Lose it, he begged. It gives the folks the idea that I am a defeatist.

I won’t. It means too much to me. It symbolizes so much of who I am…..I will never abandon it.

Starts with my Dad. He was (I’m sure) a brash high school football player when polio attacked. He spent a year in the hospital and recovered with no muscles in his right hand or left leg. The cruelty could have defeated him….but it didn’t. Against the odds, he went on to become a police officer and later the Police Chief. He made a new plan.

My high school football team won two games in our senior year. There are three medical doctors from that team, saving lives and contributing to society. On the field, we were pummeled….but we took the beatings and made ourselves mentally tougher for the lives we choose to lead. We didn’t retreat….we re-focused…..and went another direction.

I was essentially shown the door at SIUE as a junior where my dream of a journalism degree ended. After some dismal time working on the Granite City docks, I went back to college to become a broadcaster. And that meant some serious struggling as I learned to be an effective communicator.

There hasn’t been anything in my life that I didn’t stink up when I started it. I was a horrendous teacher in my first semester. The only thing that saved me was good student evaluations….because I was somewhat entertaining.

No, I like the General’s quote. Too many people around me just quit if things are not going well. I know I have thought about it during the bad days. But McArthur’s message is for anyone who ever wanted to succeed. Getting knocked down isn’t the crime…….Not getting back up……is.

A few weeks ago I called my Dad on Father’s Day and said this:

“You know, Pop-----two years ago you were in trouble-----you couldn’t navigate in the house----you had injured yourself falling----and I worried you might not be able to continue to live alone.

But two years later, you have found a way to work around your mobility issues….just like you did when you were a kid.

Dad, I admire that. I’ve always have admired how you have overcome the obstacles. Thank you for showing me how to do it.”

The Chief took the sincere statement and brushed it off.

“You do what you have to---Son. You do what has to be done to survive.”

General McArthur was booted off the Philippines and had the brashness to say, he would return. We’re not retreating……we are….moving in another direction.

God Bless the General, Louie Dreith and all the other people who sing from the same book.

Quitters never win….and they very often don’t go another direction.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment