Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I'm back...

It has been eight long months since I last blogged.


I stopped cold turkey after the birth of my grandson. There were other things going on in my life at the start of the year. The birth forced my hand. I could not remain in Texas when this young life was growing in Southern Illinois.

There were a lot of raw feelings. I loved my job and the people I worked with at Western Texas College. My wife really loved everything about Texas.

With her begrudging permission, I applied for a new job closer to home.

The process of applying for a college presidency is arduous. You bear yourself open to every possible personal question. You must be courageous….and quite honestly…..you must think highly of your skills and abilities. If you possess self-doubt, others will too. Fortunately for me, Louie and Mary Etta bestowed a healthy self-esteem in me.

I hated the deception of not telling my colleagues that I had applied elsewhere. But I couldn’t bear the problems associated with announcing I was a finalist elsewhere----and then not actually landing in a new job. I just couldn’t go through the pain only to experience failure.

Carol stood by me through the ordeal. She dutifully moved and landed a job where her career could survive. She knows how much I appreciate her devotion. Of course, she has a grandchild in Southern Illinois too-----a bright eyed four-year-old who is a joy to host at our new home in Murphysboro.

As for my new duties…..

I work at one of the best community colleges in the country. I am surrounded by loyal and talented people who seem to genuinely want to see me succeed.

I’m home. I love our new house…..and I am prepared to work tirelessly to achieve.

Hopefully, I will be able to share a few interesting stories in the coming months.

Talk Isn’t Always Cheap is back.

So am I.



2 comments: