Saturday, January 7, 2012

Some Cribside Grandfatherly Advice


I am so happy to once again be reunited with my toys in the Mancave. I left Texas long before Christmas and stayed for almost two weeks. Bethalto, Illinois was the destination.

I sampled the local eateries….I visited old friends…..I helped my Mom become I-pad literate….and I welcomed a grandson to the world.

All pretty cool….but in the end…..there was a constant pull to get back to The Republic where my wife and job waited for me.

As for the food, there is nothing here in Snyder, Texas that comes remotely close to Roma Pizza. Texans do not know how to fry catfish like folks that live close to the Mississippi.  I had the most delectable fish in recent memory at the Pere Marquette Lodge during this visit. And virtually everything I got at Geno’s 140 Club was perfectly prepared. Now I am faced with the gym…and several workouts to erase the damage done to my waistline during my Illinois visit.

I spent New Year’s Eve with my kids and brought the New Year in with old friends.

Mom had been technology-free for years. I encouraged her to consider an I-pad and installing Wi-Fi at the homestead. She did…and we spent some wonderful time together. I called it “I-pad Boot Camp.”  I think it will open a whole new world to her.

And then there was the birth of Carson, the long awaited first grandson. Carol is thrilled because it kills one of my better continuing jokes. You see, Carol has a grandchild----Lexa----and when people asked me if I was a grandfather, I’d always say: “No…but I sleep with a grandmother.”

Never again. And besides…it wasn’t even accurate. She has kids…I have kids….but the grandchildren are “ours.”

Carson came in with drama. He struggled for a while and doctors decided it was time to “go in and get him.” They did, and the relief among the family members there at the hospital was palatable.

I remember when Andy was born and the incredible rush of love and RESPONSIBILITY that overcame me as I looked down upon him.

This time…..it was only love. Carson is Andy’s responsibility…and I am sure he will do a wonderful job with his wife, Alicia.

As I left the hospital on the evening of Carson’s birth, my eye caught a sign outside of Alicia’s room.

It said:

“Time for a visit from the nurses at The Lactation Station.”

I went back in and looked directly at Carson as if he could understand me.

“This Lactation Station…..it’s good,” I told him. And turned to leave…

“But beware of the Division of Circumcision.”

I thought he deserved a tip…..since he was about to lose his. 

No comments:

Post a Comment