Monday, November 16, 2020

Cherries Jubilee

 

I was introduced to coffee almost forty years ago when I first came to Fairfield as a young broadcaster. It became a vital part of getting up at 3:30 in the morning to do the news shift.

That coffee was black….and almost as thick as motor oil. It served the purpose of driving a large dosage of caffeine into my system. No sugar. No cream. No real taste. Just caffeine, which serves as a central nervous system stimulant. I never really saw it as a vice…more a necessity.

Every year or so there is a study that shows that coffee presents a health risk…Conversely, every year or so there is a counter study that shows health benefits. Believe what you will.

Until recently, I never considered different types of coffee. I just had coffee. But then Starbucks started producing cold coffees, Cappuccinos, Soy Lattes and literally more types of coffee than I can keep track of. Still I just had coffee.

But something happened about a year ago. I tried a flavored coffee at a downtown business----Simply Enough----and liked it. It’s called Highlander Grog. So I grogged….and my wife….thinking that was the end of my coffee journey bought a couple of kilos of it. I’ve got a lot of grog.

But recently I went way out there and tried a flavored coffee called “Cherries Jubilee,” and I liked it. It made me think. I can only guess the look on old Gil Wallace’s face if I turned my nose up at his morning brew back in the day.

I think he would have questioned my broadcasting ability…and my manhood… if I had suggested instead….a cup of Cherries Jubilee.

No comments:

Post a Comment