Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Put It Away



I want to admit to at least one crime in my life. And I want to declare my reform. The crime is messing with my cellphone while I should be devoting all of my attention to navigating a vehicle. My reform comes after understanding that distracted driving is a potentially deadly practice, one that is now being taken seriously by Illinois law enforcement.

I am a multi-tasker. I like thinking I’m talented enough to do several things at the same time. But that is just stupid. Driving a vehicle, watching out for other drivers and communicating at the same time is a recipe for disaster. I understand that now….and you should too.

Starting next week, a new Illinois law will put some bite into the fines assessed for motorists who use an electronic device while driving. First time offenders could be fined up to $75 for a first time offense. The fines escalate and three moving violations in a year could cost you your license.

The goal is to shame folks like me into believing that it is socially unacceptable to multi-task. I get it. In fact, I don’t even allow myself to be tempted anymore. I have a feature on my phone that detects when I am driving. It shuts my phone off from receiving incoming messages.

Distracted driving cost almost 3200 people their lives in 2017. That stat alone should give you pause in reaching for your cell while driving. Now you have another reason. It will cost you.

The roads are bad enough in Illinois. There are drunk and high drivers, construction zones and weather conditions that make driving a high risk proposition.

That phone call can wait. Let them leave a message.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot "Old" drivers when listing the significant hazards of our local roads.

    ReplyDelete