Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Hinson Escapes SIU



I have no love for my alma mater. There is no purpose in stating the reasons here.

But, I believe SIU-Carbondale lost a quality leader when Head Basketball Coach Barry Hinson stepped away over the weekend. He did so with grace and class, not traits normally associated with the university.

I knew Hinson. He interacted with me during my time at John A. Logan College. I loved his humor and his enthusiasm. But, in the end, it always comes down to winning….and Hinson didn’t win enough.

He leaves with a year left on his contract. But his word was his contract and following last season he told then SIU President Carlo Montemagno, that he would either take this year’s team to post season…..or quit. Montemagno was not around to remind Hinson of the pact. He died of cancer last fall.

Hinson was the coach during a time of unprecedented upheaval at SIU. The bottom fell out of enrollment….the chancellor was fired for conspiring against the campus….and the political atmosphere in Carbondale turned corrosive.

With all that current, Hinson remained undaunted in his advocacy for the Salukis. And he drew fans with his style of coaching. 

In his closing press conference, Barry Hinson asked to be quoted. Here’s what he said:
“I’m sorry. I am so sorry that we couldn’t get back to the tournament. It’s haunted me my entire life. And I’m a man of faith, and my dad taught me a long time ago I know not what my future holds, but know who holds my future.”

Barry will land. And when he does, he will enrich the people around him.

No comments:

Post a Comment