Tuesday, June 6, 2017

On Golden Pond


I remember saying something that mattered 25 years ago in a college leadership meeting at Lewis and Clark Community College.

Don’t remember the statement….only that it was actually heard among my colleagues.

I was seeking validation back then. A newly minted associate dean with a brand new grad degree and rich in follicles. It was cool being heard in the administrative building, in the president’s office. I had so much to give. So much time. Enthusiasm.

My how things have changed. A quarter century of change. Three college presidencies, three grown sons…and a litter of grandsons. Time has marched on…

Now I am at the college leadership table as the person who is asked about historical perspectives.

“Hey, Mike….did this ever work for you?’

I’m the exocentric old curmudgeon. Loveable but sometimes difficult. I don’t have the juice to hit a home run, but can still string together a few hits to accomplish a directive. That’s far different than being the person who carried it all on his shoulders…always hoping to innovate.

Don’t fret for me. I’ve found other things to keep me happy and moving forward. 60 is not the end…..no…..it really is only the beginning. The beginning of a different type of life. One that is a bit more selfish. More personal.

I have three neat things working for me at the moment. Of course, there is the focus on training and enjoying our two new basset hounds. They daily put a smile on my face. Only Carol can top them in the smile department.

Next week I will go to my first harmonica class. My bucket list is to learn how to play the harmonica well enough to someday play the national anthem prior to a high school football game. Preferably at the Train Yard in Fairfield. I have signed up for lessons with St. Louis Community College Continuing Education. Three classes. $25 tuition and a free harmonica. I get the senior discount. Sweet.

And finally, there is the Camp Frontier projects. In case you don’t follow me on Facebook, two years ago we purchased some wooded land from Carol’s family south of Fairfield. There, under her father’s direction, we have built a pond and started construction on a cabin where my kids and grandkids can come and be part of our lives…..Carol and I will end up like Henry Fonda and Kate Hepburn “On Golden Pond.”

I know it seems like a meager list of excitable events. It doesn’t take much for me as I grow long in the tooth and forehead.

Today I said something that contributed to the conversation at the college’s leadership meeting.

It felt good.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment