Monday, November 11, 2019

Grateful



Today, we recognize Veterans Day.

This is the day we pay tribute to all American veterans---living or dead---but especially give thanks to living veterans who served their country honorably during war or peacetime.

It’s not Memorial Day. Americans confuse the two….. Memorial Day is the time to remember those who gave their lives for our country, particularly in battle or form wounds suffered in battle.

I never served. The draft expired at the conclusion of the Viet Nam war, and I was not called. I did not volunteer but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a great deal of respect for our service men and women. Carol and I each have sons who have….or are in uniform. We are both very proud of their commitment to the safety of our nation.

On Saturday, as we honored the military in the annual Fairfield Veterans Day parade, we saw seven World War II vets. Of the 16-million Americans in that war, only about 400,000 are left and that number is plummeting.

I also think about the 610,000 living Viet Nam veterans who never got the appreciation they deserved.  There were no parades welcoming them home. It reminds me of Fairfield’s late Medal of Honor recipient Private First Class Kenneth Kays who tragically died at the age of 42. Every time I look out my front door, I see the monument and think about his heroism.

To all of the soldiers who served in the various conflicts and wars….and our veterans who continue to fight against terrorism,  I say thanks….

We wake today in a free country…protected by the greatest military in the world.

I’m grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment