Monday, October 5, 2015

Leadership, defined.


 
(The text of a speech delivered by Mike Dreith on October 1st at the annual Carbondale Boys and Girls Club banquet)
 
Good evening and thank you. I am so very pleased to be a part of this celebration of the Boys and Girls Club of Carbondale.
I have to be up front with you and tell you that I had an accident that has rendered me somewhat immobile. I’m nursing an injury suffered two weekends ago while carrying out some very specific instructions from my wife. We were trying to trim up and spruce up our backyard and I had been ordered…..instructed….to use hedge-trimmers to manicure some unruly scrubs which are part of an upper terrace in our backyard. To accomplish the task, I had to crawl up onto a ledge, about 3-feet above the rest of the yard.
As I was expertly doing the job, I could see something in the shrub…..that something was a yellow jacket….and it saw me at the same time and decided to fly….at warp speed….towards the space between my eyes. As it hit my head, I threw the trimmer into the air and fell doing a graceful plant of my left shoulder into the turf.
Now, my wife and I are empty nesters…..but we do own a rescue basset hound. Her name is Jacqueline Basset…..and as I rolled onto by back, dazed, she loped up next to me. 
For a moment, I was transformed to my childhood…..when each week I watched a television show called Lassie….where the reoccurring plot was……the main character, Timmy, would get himself into some sort of jam…and expect his collie to get him out of it. Timmy would fall into a well and yell for Lassie to “go get help.” Lassie would then fight through a pack of coyotes, over rivers, through deserts, to get the authorities to follow her back to the well…..Timmy would be saved…..Lassie is a hero…..all within the confines of a 30-minute show.

So, I roll over dazed and my dog, Jackie, a 70-pound basset hound, jogs over to me. I, somewhat jokingly, say to my dog------“Lassie, go get help.”
Instead of running to Carol…..Jackie lines up parallel with my body and rolls onto her back so I might be able to scratch her ample belly.
In other words, If Lassie had been a basset……Timmy would be 63-years-old….still in the bottom of a well.
I was asked to pay homage to the theme of  “Great Futures, Great Leaders ” tonight….and I have some things to share about my own leadership journey…
Why aspire to be a leader?...you might ask. Honestly, I have often thought about that.  Aren’t the soldiers who lift their heads out of the bunker, the ones who get shot?
The best quote I’ve ever encountered about leadership came from the pen of Southern humorist Lewis Grizzard who once said----quote----If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.”  
I can honestly tell you---I was not a leader at birth. I became a leader through a conscious effort at followership.  Seems odd, doesn’t it? Learning how to lead…by being an active follower.  I learned a great deal about leadership at the knee of my father, who helped found the Bethalto Boys Club in the late 1960s. He was a cop…..a juvenile officer who saw too much idle time on the hands of the kids in my hometown. In his mind, idle hands were the devil’s workshop. …or at least contributed to the number of juvenile delinquents roaming the streets of our little town.
In my own life, I learned how to lead on the athletic fields and courts. The older classmen were the leaders and I watched and learned from their examples. Unfortunately, my high school career as a football and basketball player was fraught with problems.
You see, I was short……but slow.
My nickname in high school was Cold Gravy…..because cold gravy doesn’t run….and neither did I. Unfortunately my oldest son also got my speed gene. His nickname in high school was “Frozen Gravy.”
But seriously, sports is a wonderful classroom to learn leadership. The concept of “hard work equals success” has merit….and we all must learn the value of teamwork if we are going to succeed in our careers.
Identify the leader in your industry….then go to school on his or her traits, their strategies….and their practices. I once was a radio broadcaster….so I went to school on the best broadcasters of my era. And I went back decades to study the fathers of broadcasting…people like Edward R. Murrow. I learned a lot by following….
When I took classes for my academic degrees, I got dual benefit. I, of course benefitted from the content of the course. I also greatly benefitted from the way the instructor presented the material. I liberally stole those teaching strategies.
Leadership through followership works.
The second concept I would share with you tonight is that of having well defined values…
I admire honesty. I believe it is the single trait that separates Abraham Lincoln to make him the greatest American president. Oh, yes, there was that Civil War….but Lincoln’s extreme candor….his unimpeachable honesty…is what makes him great.
I spent a part of my life as a reporter. And I learned about something we called “the second day story.” What I noticed is…..the really good politicians made sure there was no opportunity for “the second day story.”
If they did something wrong….unethical….and they were caught doing it. The smart ones would step up to the microphone and quickly admit their mistake…and seek forgiveness. The story would die.
But the less skilled politician denies the slip-up….and the story develops legs…and becomes a series of stories. 
History is replete with examples of the downside of not accepting responsibility for one’s actions….or words.
President Richard Nixon was not impeached because he initiated a wiretap of the Democratic National Headquarters at the Watergate Hotel….he was impeached because he tried like the dickens to cover it up.
We all fall short….it is our nature….we just fall short. Learn how to fess up…quickly and never blame someone else for your sins. Our society, our culture….and for most of us….our Christianity teaches us to confess our errors and we will be forgiven. To err is human, to forgive divine. People love to forgive in our society. They want to give you a second chance. But nobody can tolerate a liar.
The third idea I will share with you is the whole idea of being front and center for failure….and in the back row when things go well.
I have a saying….think I made it up myself…..don’t think I stole it…..here it is:
“Be careful of taking too many bows----it makes it all the easier for someone to kick you in the butt.” I cleaned it up for this event.
The point is----I had a colleague once who always was accepting atta-boys from the boss for work done in his department…by his people. He was taking credit for everything that went right at the college….until something went wrong….and his silence was deafening. Always give credit to others…be humble in accepting kind words.

Accept bad news with good humor. My grandfather was an incredible optimist. When grandpa was a young man he rode on the freight trains---in and out of Nashville, Illinois---as a hobo during the Great Depression. There were two trains that rolled into his little Illinois town…one stopped for coal and water….the other didn’t. One day, while riding back into town, he became convinced he was on the train that did not stop….so….at fifty miles per hour…..he leapt from the train and rolled to a stop with cuts and scratches all over his body as he watched the train roll to a stop in Nashville…. just up the track.
When grandpa told me this story I suspected there was some grand lesson attached to it. I asked….what’s the point? Why did you tell me this story?

He used to call me Mikem-----“Well Mikem, he said…..I guess I could have jumped on the other side of town.”
A point well taken….with humor.

Think hard about your principles, commit yourself to those core beliefs, and don’t compromise. To thine own self be true. If you wake up each day and test the political wind to determine your own direction, you will waffle through life. I respect people who have counter opinions to my own but I can spot a phony from across the county.
Lesson three?---and to illustrate this point---I will once again quote myself: “Leadership should be a given       ----rather---commit to becoming a leader of leaders.”
I grew up near St. Louis…and still live and die each summer with the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. They had a player named Albert Pujols, who was the most valuable player in baseball a few years back….and might be in the same category as the greatest Cardinal ever….Stan the Man Musial. Pujols said it best:
“I am at my best if I make my teammates more complete players.”
In other words, a rising tide lifts all boats.
Work hard at being a good follower…be responsible…take life with a smile… and help others around you become better…and you will someday find yourself---in your late fifties----with a great life being shared with a great wife.

I believe that history is our greatest teacher. Learn from your past. Before I met Carol, I spent two years thinking hard about the mistakes of my past relationship. I wrote down eight things that I simply needed to have in any future relationship. It was remarkable to me that Carol perfectly matched those eight things. I couldn’t have written the manifesto if I had not learned from my past mistakes. Fool me once, shame on you…..Fool me twice….shame on me.
Here’s another quote that I love-----from someone----I don’t know who to attribute...
“There is no limit to the amount of good that people can accomplish if they don’t care who gets the credit.”
Next lesson----I like to engage in a practice called, “Random Acts of Kindness.” It’s really quite easy. In my daily life, I try to find ways to overtly interject myself into people’s lives in a positive way. I will warn you….it takes time….but I find it most rewarding. It can be as simple as finding a student walking down the hall with a confused or worried look on his or her face. You make eye contact and offer to help. They almost always smile….and express their gratitude.

I have friends who are going through trials in the lives……we all do. I offer to be there for them. I know it sounds simple…but in this text message world…..offering to listen is golden. Offering to act for a friend is the ultimate act of kindness. Try it. It works.
And finally, St. Louis University had a basketball coach who died way too young. His name was Rick Majerus. Before he died at the age of 64 from heart disease…he said….quote…”You examine your life, your values, your failures, the things that make you proud. You think about the people you’ve helped, and the people you’ve let down. And then you rethink it all over again.”

I never met the Coach…but from everything I have read about him, he was a wonderful leader of young men. His players….past and present day…speak in glowing terms of him. His death, a few years ago, made me think and define my values. Most of mine are grounded in my Christianity. Honestly, the leaders I couldn’t follow in my life were the ones who couldn’t identify their values…or bent them…or had values totally foreign to the ones taught to me in the Bible.

I’ve learned it is wise to…like Coach Majerus….remember the failures in my life. They can be plentiful, painful….but highly educational.
As a final thought---Pope Francis reminded us of the wisdom of the Word in his visit this week to America.
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
We all know it as The Golden Rule.
It’s also the Golden Rule of Leadership….and a pretty good place to focus your life….
Thank you Randy, thanks to the board of the Boys and Girls Club….and all of you for your attention.
God Bless You and God Bless the Boys and Girls Club of Carbondale.

No comments:

Post a Comment